April 5, 2008

Mule Day


In the 20 years or so that I have lived in Nashville, I had yet to make it down to Columbia for the annual Mule Day festival. I guess it's just one of those events that you don't think about until you hear it has already passed and then think "I'll make it next year."  

Our Harley-Davidson Chapter planned a group ride to go down today, so it seemed that the opportunity had finally presented itself. Despite the grey skies and chill in the air, Rach and I drove down in the truck and stopped along the highway to watch the parade. Lots of riders and teams with wagons went by and Rachel had a great time waving at them all. We found our way over to the park, arriving purely by chance within moments of the motorcycle group.



We all walked in together and everyone found their yummy fair food of choice. (BBQ for Doug and I, Rachel had a corn dog.) We walked around the exhibits and did a bit of shopping for an hour or so until the bike group left for their ride back to town. Rachel and I went to see the skill driving teams which was really neat, and then went to the arena for the mule pulling contest. Mule teams in a similar weight class compete to see which team can pull the heaviest sled filled with concrete blocks. We didn't get to stay until the end, but when we left the sled weighed more than 43oo lbs. It was really impressive.



We bought some peach preserves and local honey on the way out and Rachel was sound asleep before I made it to the highway. We had a nice lasagna dinner courtesy of Stouffer's and I think it's safe to say it was a fun day for us all. I hope it isn't another 20 years before I make it back to Mule Days...

Oh, by the way, the Predators did lose to the 'Hawks last night, so we finish in 8th place and will face the Detroit Red Wings in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Games 3 & 4 will be played here in Nashville late next week but I'll have more on this subject when the schedule is announced. I can't wait!

No comments: