April 11, 2008

The End of Second Sock Syndrome?


After the Yarn Harlot spoke Wednesday night I bought a new book I have been wanting, "2-at-a-time Socks", by Melissa Morgan Oakes. 

I bought some supplies at Knaughty Knitter on Thursday and cast on the "sample sock" pattern this morning. This is a teeny pair of socks that is knit in two different colors of yarn to learn the technique and avoid some of the confusion. (I will have to repeat the process to get two pairs of socks.) The idea is to cast on for both socks onto a really long circular needle (at least 40")  and then divide each set of stitches in half and pull the cable out--like Magic Loop. You work in rounds, completing both socks on each pass. I love it! After the first few rounds I stopped twisting the two balls of yarn around each other and the process became much clearer. So far, so good--hopefully the heel & gussett will go as smoothly. It will be so cool to end the problem of matching stripes, guessing if I'll have enough yarn, & keeping track of rows. Not to mention the dreaded SSS!  When you cast off, BOTH socks are done! Check back on my progress.

Last night we went to the Kindergarten Open House at the elementary school Rachel will go to in August. It was fun and scary at the same time. It is really hard for me to believe that she will be in Real School in just a few short months. We got to tour the school and meet the Principal, as well as wander through all SEVEN kindergarten classrooms. Rachel loved that part and it was hard to get her to leave all the fun things to look at and do. One classroom even had an egg incubator. Neat.

Then I came home and watched the Nashville Predators play Game One of the Playoffs against the Detroit Red Wings. The Preds hung in there pretty well, but ended up losing 3-1. (The last goal was scored into an empty net.) Game Two is Saturday afternoon and I hope we can win that one. It would be great to play at home on Monday night with a tied series. Keepin' the fingers & toes crossed.

On another note, dinner conversation with Rachel was a hoot tonight. She informed us that her (imaginary) friends, Rose and Linda, were out of town. They apparently have gone to Ohio to visit their Aunt. Before they left they gave Rachel a candy bar with chocolate, honey, cake icing, blueberries and other fruit. These were pretty much her exact words--her imagination is a fine & wonderful thing.

1 comment:

Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...

I will watch your progress! If you're on Ravelry (and I think everyone on earth should be on Ravelry) there's a very supportive 2-at-a-Time Socks group. If I am not around to answer questions, the knitters there usually are.

Good Luck!!