April 6, 2008

Mitered Squares

It's been a while since I mentioned any knitting projects...

I know I have referred to the knitting group that meets at the Main Library downtown on this Blog before. It's a terrific and eclectic group and they are always bringing in really creative projects that I want to make. 

Francie, in particular, seems to choose projects and colorways that make me stop whatever I am working on and go and take a closer look. She is very generous about sharing her ideas and I know she understands that imitation truly is the highest form of flattery. (heehee) Back in January she walked in with one of the most striking scarves I have ever seen wrapped around her neck and I just had to have one. She designed the scarf based on the directions for the small Mitered Square , found in the Psychedelic Squares Afghan. Francie also used  the technique for knitting four squares together devised by Kay Gardiner to greatly reduce the amount of sewing up at the end. You can find directions for this here on the May 10, 2006 entry at masondixonknitting.com.

The yarn Francie used had been discontinued, so I decided to make mine out of Brown Sheep Yarn Co.'s Cotton Fleece. I bought 10 skeins at a local yarn shop, and although I easily could have included more colors, I figured ten colors in a scarf was enough. The finished scarf requires 56 squares so I still have a way to go, but these are some photos of what I have finished. I guess I'll be wearing it next winter, lol.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent catch-up, m'dear! :D I was beginning to think we were going to have to sabotage your Ravelry account!