April 21, 2007

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Game 5

The Nashville Predators ended their Playoff run last night at home in a heartbreaking Game 5 loss to the Sharks. I went to the game with my brother, Lou. I sold my three seats to a friend from the Harley Chapter and we sat in Ken & Angus' seats. We were all so pumped up and fully expecting the Preds to come out on fire with something to prove. While I knew it was along shot for them to come back and win the next three games, I really thought they would win last night. I think in the other two seasons when we made the playoffs we had that "we're just happy to be here" attitude and the crowd was proud and happy despite the first round defeats. This time the mood was definitely different and everyone left disappointed and a little angry. I think everyone felt they should have done better considering their regular season record. The expectation that we would advance was definitely there and so the defeat was all the more bitter.


I do hope that there is a coolong off period and that there aren't a bunch of rash decisions like firing the whole coaching staff, which some of the radio shows are saying could happen. Barry Trotz is a good coach and I think it is wrong to lay all the problems at his feet. There were injuries, etc. that were beyond his control and throwing the baby out with the bathwater doesn't seem like the solution, to me at least.


Of course, I am a Chicagoan at heart and we know "there's always next year!"

No comments: